Vandy-MSU 3

For fan discussion of the glorious Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.
Goldstar

Re: Vandy-MSU 3

Post by Goldstar »

It is perfectly ok to question Corbin. All coaches have blind spots. That does not mean they are not overall a very successful coach. However, he gets pretty tunnelvisioned at times.
Charlestonalum

Post by Charlestonalum »

Goldstar wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:14 pm It is perfectly ok to question Corbin. All coaches have blind spots. That does not mean they are not overall a very successful coach. However, he gets pretty tunnelvisioned at times.
Of course, he is human and like the rest of us makes mistakes, but when questioing or pointing out decisions that did not work - the language describing it could be better than bone headed. He makes lots of decisions in every game and over the years judging from the record they often proved correct but some do not look right. In criticizing his decision it might be insightful to explain pros and cons of the decision so that we can judge how eggreious the mistake or dumb it was. Reasons I can imagine for pitching to Hines are Greene had 2 outs, he was pitching very well, as a frosh he needs big moments to rely on rest of career, how many HR's and games can Hines win until odds catch up with him. I am sure Corbin had even more good reasons to pitch to Hines - it didn't work out. Really unfortunate.
UltimateVUFan

Post by UltimateVUFan »

Charlestonalum wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:33 am
Goldstar wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:14 pm It is perfectly ok to question Corbin. All coaches have blind spots. That does not mean they are not overall a very successful coach. However, he gets pretty tunnelvisioned at times.
Of course, he is human and like the rest of us makes mistakes, but when questioing or pointing out decisions that did not work - the language describing it could be better than bone headed. He makes lots of decisions in every game and over the years judging from the record they often proved correct but some do not look right. In criticizing his decision it might be insightful to explain pros and cons of the decision so that we can judge how eggreious the mistake or dumb it was. Reasons I can imagine for pitching to Hines are Greene had 2 outs, he was pitching very well, as a frosh he needs big moments to rely on rest of career, how many HR's and games can Hines win until odds catch up with him. I am sure Corbin had even more good reasons to pitch to Hines - it didn't work out. Really unfortunate.
Reasons to walk Hines:
- He was on fire this weekend. Literally had every RBI in the Saturday win and nearly all for the weekend.
- First base was open and they needed one out. You put the force out in play at three bases.
- As you noted, you have a freshman on the mound. Not only does skirting Hines take the pressure off, so does setting up all those force outs.

Love Corbs. Hate that decision.
Baseball1234

Post by Baseball1234 »

Our recruiting classes over the past few years are rated tops in the country. Mike Baxter cannot control losing guys to the draft.
As a hitting coach, Baxter has really ruined Alan Espinal. Polk too. Ditto Vastine. Ruined Davis this year. Too bad MSU did not fire their hitting coach after getting shut out on Friday night.
kslaught

Post by kslaught »

Baseball1234 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:19 am Our recruiting classes over the past few years are rated tops in the country. Mike Baxter cannot control losing guys to the draft.
As a hitting coach, Baxter has really ruined Alan Espinal. Polk too. Ditto Vastine. Ruined Davis this year. Too bad MSU did not fire their hitting coach after getting shut out on Friday night.
just a quick comment about the recruiting classes: it doesn't matter how highly the classes are rated, if you lose the best to the draft. We need to target good players that have the best chance to make it to campus.
jpmando

Post by jpmando »

Just an aside. A close friend of mine tried to steer his outstanding
High school player nephew to our program. He could never get a response to his emails.
The player is now a top power hitter on the Duke squad. I've watched him play- we sure could use him these days. And he will finish there with a masters degree.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda.
Baseball1234

Post by Baseball1234 »

kslaught wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:54 am
Baseball1234 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:19 am Our recruiting classes over the past few years are rated tops in the country. Mike Baxter cannot control losing guys to the draft.
just a quick comment about the recruiting classes: it doesn't matter how highly the classes are rated, if you lose the best to the draft. We need to target good players that have the best chance to make it to campus.
Evaluation of freshmen and sophomores is based on projection. Some blossom into high draft picks. We can't just target guys who don't project as high draft picks.
Harpo Marx

Post by Harpo Marx »

My take on the Sunday pitching. I was all for Green to start the 9th. He gave up a couple of loud outs in the 7th and then struck out the 7,8 and 9 hitters in the 8th. The first 2 batters in the 9th fouled off several pitches before the second batter got a hit. Would have taken him out then. Gave up 2nd on a bad PO attempt. Now Green is facing their best hitter in Jordan. Righty-Lefty match-up. Take him out. K's Jordan. Boy, am I an idiot. Now has a lefty-lefty match-up, but it is the guy who should have been walked everytime after his first homer and double on Saturday. I can't see the full bullpen from where I sit, but I do see the ball being thrown in the bullpen in the 8th and 9th. It appears to be a righty, but I don't know who it was. Anyway, the rest is history. So I go home and watch the rest of the Preds game and they give up a 2 goal lead in the last 4 minutes to lose. Sometimes I think it it just me...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic