The non-Belmont related portal thread

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.
Byington_Stan

Re: The non-Belmont related portal thread

Post by Byington_Stan »

Jason94 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:16 am
Byington_Stan wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:00 am Justin Taylor (Syracuse transfer) has committed to JMU. He was high School teammates with Carter Lang. Will be interesting to monitor if Lang returns to Vandy, if not, JMU could be his destination.
I don't know what Lang will do but he definitely struggled in his first season. CJS gave him a good amount of PT early but that tapered off as we went into conference season. He just couldn't get his shot off and turned the ball over in over 25% of his possessions used. He was a strong rebounder but just too much of a non-entity on offense for him to make much of an impact this season.
I just saw a couple of highlights from him, so I may be way off, but looked like he is more of a traditional big. JMU’s new HC will operate at a much slower pace than Byington wants to run. Could see Lang just not being as good of a fit in the up-tempo basketball Byington wants.
Jason94

Post by Jason94 »

Byington_Stan wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:35 am
Jason94 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:16 am
Byington_Stan wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:00 am Justin Taylor (Syracuse transfer) has committed to JMU. He was high School teammates with Carter Lang. Will be interesting to monitor if Lang returns to Vandy, if not, JMU could be his destination.
I don't know what Lang will do but he definitely struggled in his first season. CJS gave him a good amount of PT early but that tapered off as we went into conference season. He just couldn't get his shot off and turned the ball over in over 25% of his possessions used. He was a strong rebounder but just too much of a non-entity on offense for him to make much of an impact this season.
I just saw a couple of highlights from him, so I may be way off, but looked like he is more of a traditional big. JMU’s new HC will operate at a much slower pace than Byington wants to run. Could see Lang just not being as good of a fit in the up-tempo basketball Byington wants.
I'd say that Lang's strengths are his overall skill and court vision, and good size and ability to rebound. He does lack great athleticism and isn't tall enough play center against most high major teams, which made his ability to get his shot off, much less score efficiently difficult as a true freshman. He probably would not be a good fit for Byington's system, and isn't a good athletic fit for the SEC.
bhoyal

Post by bhoyal »

Duke guard Jeremy Roach in the portal.

14ppg

This is a no brainer.

-----------------------------------------------------

6-5 wing Brandon Newman from WKU is in

10/5/2 last season.
MikeADore

Post by MikeADore »

bhoyal

Post by bhoyal »

MikeADore wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:52 pm
13/4/3 last season; hit around 34% from three

Looks crafty with high hoops I Q on the highlights but not super-athletic in a Bama/Auburn kind of way.

Could provide some quality depth.
Jason94

Post by Jason94 »

bhoyal wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:04 pm
MikeADore wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:52 pm
13/4/3 last season; hit around 34% from three

Looks crafty with high hoops I Q on the highlights but not super-athletic in a Bama/Auburn kind of way.

Could provide some quality depth.
For context, he played just under 22 mpg last season, so 13 ppg is pretty impressive considering how generously Cornell used its bench. Cornell only had one player above 25 mpg last season, and just barely. He did lead the team in assist rate at over 25% and was 5th in the nation in steal rate - there were only 3 games all season which he didn't record a steal compared to 11 games where he had at least 3 steals. He did hit 63% of his shots inside the arc and 71% of his FTA and had a TS% of over 60%.

This looks like a player who is perfect for CMB's system - someone who creates turnovers, had good size at 6'-5" and has good court vision (is a non-point guard who can bring the ball up and create offense.

this would be a really good get if we are able to land him.
bhoyal

Post by bhoyal »

From what I watched, there would nothing wrong with offering him.

Maybe not a guy to do backflips and summersaults over. Not every guy on the roster needs to be backflip and summersault inspiring.

Mikayla Blakes is an example of backflip and summersault inspiring. Her quick slashing moves are like vintage James Harden in the men's game.
dore74

Post by dore74 »

Agree bhoyal, we could use a roster of quality SEC basketball players with a sprinkling of backflippers and summersaulters and have a very fine season.
bhoyal

Post by bhoyal »

dore74 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:08 pm Agree bhoyal, we could use a roster of quality SEC basketball players with a sprinkling of backflippers and summersaulters and have a very fine season.
That looks like the CSR plan for the ladies. Blakes is something special.

I would compare her signing to what it would have been like if Dellin Betances had turned down the Yankees and come to school.
bhoyal

Post by bhoyal »

All conference freshman Seydou Traore now in the portal from Manhattan. VU and about 30 other schools are interested.

Position:
G/F
Height:
6-7
Weight:
Class:
Freshman
Hometown:
New York, N.Y.

Had 13/8 vs UConn

Plays like a legit power forward for his size. It's that motor, that inherent toughness thing. He has it. Like an Alabama/Auburn forward.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic