VandySports interview with CMB

For discussion of Vanderbilt Commodores men's basketball games and recruiting.
AuricGoldfinger

VandySports interview with CMB

Post by AuricGoldfinger »

Some good insights here.

EagleDore

Re: VandySports interview with CMB

Post by EagleDore »

I like it! He recognizes that chemistry and team cohesion & team building are very important which is a great sign. Looks into potential player backgrounds & character. I'm fascinated to watch this build and I am optimistic.
Utahozzie

Post by Utahozzie »

This guy is amazing.
cjdore

Post by cjdore »

He gets me excited for basketball season
VUdores05

Post by VUdores05 »

Get on board now. We want to win now. I'm on board.
dore74

Post by dore74 »

Quite an interview. He seems very, very focused and competent, low key but don't get in his way. He said that he's still looking to add to the roster. Color me very optimistic.
Jason94

Post by Jason94 »

dore74 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:22 pm Quite an interview. He seems very, very focused and competent, low key but don't get in his way. He said that he's still looking to add to the roster. Color me very optimistic.
I noted his focus as well - he also is very forward thinking - not concerned about what might not have gone exactly as he planned but focusing on what he needs to accomplish in a day and seeming working tirelessly to get it done.

He had a very well articulated plan as well - his thoughts on the portal are even more progressive than mine are - he doesn't appear to be a person who gets caught up on how things should be. Without directly saying it, I think the two returners who are on the roster at the moment are the only two we are likely to have from last year's team.

His take on getting a big man was also well articulated - he's looking for size, but for size that can do other things besides be big. He wants guys with multiple skills, which is what he means by positionless basketball, and letting those players do things that used to be more tightly defined by the positions on the court. He also seems familiar with advanced analytics, based on the conversation, and specifically hired guys with experiences that differed from his own to challenge his way of doing things.

From this standpoint there are two things I've seen from CMB that are very positive - 1) he has a very clear vision for what he wants to accomplish and has great focus needed to accomplish it, but also has a fantastic attitude and doesn't let setbacks bother him or stop his momentum. 2) he has a personality that pretty much exceeds that of all modern VU men's basketball coaches and this is directly translating on the recruiting trail in an immediate and tangible way.

I think CKS and CEF both were strong in the first trait, but were lacking in the 2nd. CVBK struggled early to figure out the first part and similarly struggled with trait 2. I think CBD had zero going on in the first trait, but was strong in the 2nd. CJS sort of had the first trait in some areas, but not others, and didn't appear to have the 2nd trait above his overall brand and name recognition.
VUPKS

Post by VUPKS »

Definitely worth the 15 minute listen. Very impressive guy. Not done recruiting, expect he will get some height from the portal. Seems like a massive upgrade of our head coach!
Hutch37

Post by Hutch37 »

agree- so glad i took the time to listen to him directly- I was one of those who felt like Stack could coach and maybe just needed time. After seeing what CMB has done in a month he has quickly won me over. What is impressive is the way he embraces the new normal in college basketball and his personality and energy to hit the ground running and quickly produce in bringing in quality players. I cannot say i like the new transfer portal driven world and would much rather bring in freshmen and watch them develop through the years. With success that may be able to happen again in a few years but we need a new school guy who can thrive in this new way of team building. Winning the press conference does not equate to winning but it is easy to see how a recruit or parent will really like this guy. His hoops philosophy also seems like an entertaining one and hopefully that will bring back more fans to make Memorial Gym get rocking again
buffy

Post by buffy »

Jason94 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:58 pm
dore74 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:22 pm Quite an interview. He seems very, very focused and competent, low key but don't get in his way. He said that he's still looking to add to the roster. Color me very optimistic.
I think CKS and CEF both were strong in the first trait, but were lacking in the 2nd. CVBK struggled early to figure out the first part and similarly struggled with trait 2. I think CBD had zero going on in the first trait, but was strong in the 2nd. CJS sort of had the first trait in some areas, but not others, and didn't appear to have the 2nd trait above his overall brand and name recognition.
If we can keep this cat for 4 or 5 years we will be rolling. Hats off to CSL. She gets prettier by the day.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic