We sure do have a lot of guys going into the portal

For discussion regarding the Vanderbilt Commodores' football program.
VUaskew

We sure do have a lot of guys going into the portal

Post by VUaskew »

With very few coming back in....

DB Gumbo Gaskins and now RB Deago Benson

Coach Lea,

If you're out there, you might want to be monitoring your roster numbers, because they seem to be getting a little light.
Molly levy

Re: We sure do have a lot of guys going into the portal

Post by Molly levy »

Not that lopsided, 23 out, 17 in. That's just the way it is. New normal after spring football when guys see where they are on the depth chart. And I would bet that there are still many hundreds of guys still free agents in the portal. Roster not complete until summer camp is over
VUaskew

Post by VUaskew »

Maybe I am just panicking. It just drives me crazy to see players cut and run so quickly these days.

Wonder where these guys think they're gonna land if they are buried on a Vandy depth chart.
BrentVU

Post by BrentVU »

VUaskew wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:50 pm With very few coming back in....

DB Gumbo Gaskins and now RB Deago Benson

Coach Lea,

If you're out there, you might want to be monitoring your roster numbers, because they seem to be getting a little light.
A couple of points:

1. Vandy went into the spring with more than 85 scholarships accounted for in the fall, so it needed to jettison a couple. Believe me, no scholarship will be left behind.

2. The numbers of scholarship players stand right now at 22 out (Jacob Lurie was not on scholarship) and 17 in. I suspect there will be 1 or 2 more coming in; I know for a fact they're looking at WR's.

3. The losses in December were crippling, but the losses in the spring (so far) haven't been bad at all... five guys who were not likely to see the field much (except Leyton Nelson, as a backup OL). You could look at that as good roster management.

But all that said, yeah, that's a lot of players leaving, and it doesn't reflect well on a program that formerly prided itself on being one of the best in the country at player resources and development. Ultimately, did the transactions strengthen the team? We'll have to wait and see on that, but for now, we just have to say, this is the new normal.
BrentVU

Post by BrentVU »

Ok, it's up to 23 scholarship players out now with Deago Benson... but "that being said" :lol: , he was a RB who was a clear No. 4 on the depth chart, and likely to fall to No. 5 once Johann Cardenas arrives.

docdore

Post by docdore »

BrentVU wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:52 pm Ok, it's up to 23 scholarship players out now with Deago Benson... but "that being said" :lol: , he was a RB who was a clear No. 4 on the depth chart, and likely to fall to No. 5 once Johann Cardenas arrives.

[/quote

....or #6 when balis matriculates?
Cerebus

Post by Cerebus »

Are these guys set to be starters? The defections in December were disturbing but with the ease of hitting the portal and money it’s the new norm.
cc11316

Post by cc11316 »

This is actually an interesting social experiment.

Imagine the NFL with no salary cap and players signed one year contracts as teams didn't have the right to lock them up longer than that. That's what we have here. The wealthier NFL teams would just create dynasties while the smaller market teams (ie. Tennessee Titans) would never challenge for championships and strive for mediocrity. Sound familiar?
bhoyal

Post by bhoyal »

docdore wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:54 am
BrentVU wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:52 pm Ok, it's up to 23 scholarship players out now with Deago Benson... but "that being said" :lol: , he was a RB who was a clear No. 4 on the depth chart, and likely to fall to No. 5 once Johann Cardenas arrives.

[/quote

....or #6 when balis matriculates?
Does Cumberland or Sewanee or Rhodes have NIL money? He should be a starter at one of those.
dore74

Post by dore74 »

Frankly I keep looking to see who we’ve been able to add. Sure seems like we could use some additional talent
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic