MSU Game 2

For fan discussion of the glorious Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.
admin
Site Admin

Re: MSU Game 2

Post by admin »

We've got to win tomorrow.
Scrappy

Post by Scrappy »

Tomorrow is the season. If they lose they can kiss hosting goodbye. There is no way these guys will win a road series in the NCAA at a quality opponents place. And to be honest, losing at home to Miss State just proves this team is now a bottom half of the league team and the slow demise of the program is marching on. Corbin will need to do some soul searching in the off season and decide if he wants to continue sliding into the basement by clinging to probably the worst talent evaluator and hitting coach in Division 1. He also needs to decide if he wants to play modern baseball or continue to play small ball in a gorilla ball era.
GoVandy

Post by GoVandy »

We were #16 in Boyd's World BEFORE this game. Barely hanging on to #1 seed.

So is this season a fluke, or a harbinger of things to come? I hope #1.
Roan0ke

Post by Roan0ke »

I think the league is really hard. We will be fine when we get healthier. Ask LSU and Auburn about this conference.

But our best chance to get to Omaha is a starting rotation of Cunningham, Holton, Carter, Futrell. We are fine with Seiber and Ginther as closers.

We have brought in more power bats - but the bottom of the order needs someone who can move runners - i.e. Hewitt. Stats aren’t everything. Guys who pop up and strike out when we absolutely need to advance runners, and swing at ball three on a 2-0 count, need to understand we are deep and they can sit.

Our pitchers are fine - when they are confident. We need to put them in confident situations.

I loved Bradfield - but last year no one sat him down and said, team needs discipline and execution. He kept trying to lift the ball. We have several current batters who need that talk. Free swinging and swinging at balls is a problem for several guys. MSU truly shows how important plate discipline can be. When you need a single, swing for a single. When they give you a gaping shift, swing for the hole.

I really like this team. Healthy, we get to Omaha. Unless we play sloppy and undisciplined. Today, we really failed to execute frequently. I expect Coach is angry - and I hope we have a bit more fire tomorrow.

My 2 cents.
kslaught

Post by kslaught »

Roan0ke wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:49 pm I think the league is really hard. We will be fine when we get healthier. Ask LSU and Auburn about this conference.

But our best chance to get to Omaha is a starting rotation of Cunningham, Holton, Carter, Futrell. We are fine with Seiber and Ginther as closers.

We have brought in more power bats - but the bottom of the order needs someone who can move runners - i.e. Hewitt. Stats aren’t everything. Guys who pop up and strike out when we absolutely need to advance runners, need to understand we are deep and they can sit.

Our pitchers are fine - when they are confident. We need to put them in confident situations.

I loved Bradfield - but last year no one sat him down and said, team needs discipline and execution. He kept trying to lift the ball. We have several current batters who need that talk. Free swinging and swinging at balls is a problem for several guys. MSU truly shows how important discipline can be. When you need a single, swing for a single.

I really like this team. Healthy, we get to Omaha. Unless we play sloppy and undisciplined. Today, we really failed to execute frequently. I expect Coach is angry - and I hope we have a bit more fire tomorrow.

My 2 cents.
the only way we are getting to Omaha is as spectators.
kslaught

Post by kslaught »

Scrappy wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:06 pm Tomorrow is the season. If they lose they can kiss hosting goodbye. There is no way these guys will win a road series in the NCAA at a quality opponents place. And to be honest, losing at home to Miss State just proves this team is now a bottom half of the league team and the slow demise of the program is marching on. Corbin will need to do some soul searching in the off season and decide if he wants to continue sliding into the basement by clinging to probably the worst talent evaluator and hitting coach in Division 1. He also needs to decide if he wants to play modern baseball or continue to play small ball in a gorilla ball era.
completely agree
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic