Corbin Press Conference

For fan discussion of the glorious Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.
Goldstar

Corbin Press Conference

Post by Goldstar »

Corbin got a little testy about some very obvious good questions about not pitching around Hines and pinch hitting Bulger. Maybe it’s time for him to move on if he can’t handle answering a few questions about coaching moves. I really despise Coach at UT but his program is superior to Corbin’s now so maybe that’s got him down.
kslaught

Re: Corbin Press Conference

Post by kslaught »

Goldstar wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:36 pm Corbin got a little testy about some very obvious good questions about not pitching around Hines and pinch hitting Bulger. Maybe it’s time for him to move on if he can’t handle answering a few questions about coaching moves. I really despise Coach at UT but his program is superior to Corbin’s now so maybe that’s got him down.
I'm certainly not ready to see Corbin go, he's one of the best coaches we have ever had in any sport. He does come across pretty short in a lot of the interviews I've seen with him. My gripe is that he seems to resist adapting to todays college baseball game. Vandy's pitching is just decent, and our hitting is way behind most other SEC teams. Our program is sliding, and I expect it will continue to do so unless some changes in philosophy are made.
dore74

Post by dore74 »

Corbs is the best coach in any sport at Vanderbilt in my lifetime. I fully expect him to do what needs to be done. Look at LSU a year after winning it all or Ole Miss, it’s tough out there. We may not host but we’ll be in the NCAA tournament and see what happens. So he was a little surely after a heartbreaking loss. I bet he’s second guessing some of his decisions as well. Par for the course in a tough season.
Baseball1234

Post by Baseball1234 »

Goldstar wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:36 pm Corbin got a little testy about some very obvious good questions about not pitching around Hines and pinch hitting Bulger. Maybe it’s time for him to move on if he can’t handle answering a few questions about coaching moves. I really despise Coach at UT but his program is superior to Corbin’s now so maybe that’s got him down.
Is that a serious comment? That's what is on his mind?
Goldstar

Post by Goldstar »

No it was just a sarcastic way to point out how much better UT’s program is to VU’s right now.
bhoyal

Post by bhoyal »

Corbs gets paid well to do exactly what he loves doing. Part of the job is to face the music after he screws one up.

BethAnne Rhozhaski's great-grandmother called to ask why Hines wasn't walked with first base open and a one run lead with two outs.
Baseball1234

Post by Baseball1234 »

Because Hines represented the go-ahead run. That's the reason, like it or not. Some think that since MSU was visiting team, the "winning run" issue is not as important. Valid point. But some agree that you never intentionally put the winning run on base. Nobody likes the result.

A lot of other things to second guess because they didn't work. I think we screwed up by not yanking Green halfway through the at bat of the guy that got the first hit in that 9th inning. Green was unable to put him away and it was 1-2 for three pitches. Carter coming in with a 1-2 count would have been very tough on the batter.
I think we screwed up on Saturday by letting Hewitt swing away, two strikes or not. (no way umpire should ever make the call that Davis offered)
There were a few times Saturday that we could have sacrificed and didn't which plays against our team speed advantage. Curious decisions in my book but valid reasons for not bunting.

Bottom line is that we are not a powerhouse. Everybody sees that. Corbs has to see it also.
Goldstar

Post by Goldstar »

I agree we are not a powerhouse. I just totally disagree with letting Hines hit. Sometimes you need to go against the book with a gut decision. I would have been ok with bringing in Carter as an option if he wanted to go by the book. My main complaint with Corbs is that he gets a bit myopic in stress situations. Also, he may not like it but he’s going to have to starting utilizing the portal for experienced players from here on out.
Baseball1234

Post by Baseball1234 »

Goldstar wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:06 am I agree we are not a powerhouse. I just totally disagree with letting Hines hit. Sometimes you need to go against the book with a gut decision. I would have been ok with bringing in Carter as an option if he wanted to go by the book. My main complaint with Corbs is that he gets a bit myopic in stress situations. Also, he may not like it but he’s going to have to starting utilizing the portal for experienced players from here on out.
I can't disagree with anything that you wrote. Unfortunately, "gut decisions" have become few and far between in baseball. Ironic that it seems that he went with Bulger on a gut feeling.......

Off topic, the MSU third basemen made a great play to get the out at the plate to keep the lead at 1 run.
Charlestonalum

Post by Charlestonalum »

Off topic, the MSU third basemen made a great play to get the out at the plate to keep the lead at 1 run.
[/quote]

They beat us by making winning plays when it counted most: forget all the other stuff - they made one more winning play than we did - let's give credit where it is due and bury the blame game. Move on as Corbs said: learn from it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic