Foreign Substance question ?

For fan discussion of the glorious Vanderbilt Commodore baseball program.
ForsythCountyDore

Foreign Substance question ?

Post by ForsythCountyDore »

It appeared to be sunny day in Nashville yesterday. What are the chances that sunscreen and rosin make up a sticky substance. My son is a pitcher at the D3 level and he is assuming that's what happened.
geeznotagain

Re: Foreign Substance question ?

Post by geeznotagain »

I was curious as to what had actually happened here. Facts were hard to come by. So I went to the Gators chat site last night to see if they had more info. That was a mistake. I should have known better. Here's the "info" I gleaned from some of their comments. (1) Yes indeed it was foreign substance (they didn't know what) and JDT was aware of it, did it intentionally (2) CTC was aware of it as well, and that's why he didn't appear to argue very vociferously (3) this ("juicing the ball" as they described it) is something Vandy pitchers have been doing all year, and helps to explain the disparity in our won-loss record at home vs on the road (4) they also said we were low-class and chicken sh*t for intentionally walking Cags. I would have liked to have gotten a quote from their coach on the alleged substance abuse, but then again, probably not. It would have intensified my dislike of the little prick even more, if that's even possible.

Edit: They also contended that Mac's injury was faked, to buy more time. That's ridiculous on the face of it because we would have brought in a lesser-used pitcher from the pen to do that, NOT Mac.
Last edited by geeznotagain on Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
DivergentDore

Post by DivergentDore »

Have a client who's grandson pitched at LSU for 4 years (recently) about the ejection. He seems to think it was likely sunscreen with rosin rubbed into it. Sunscreen, rosin, and sweat makes an extremely potent mixture that can increase spin rate 400 rpm or more and is commonly used. He (client) said a large number of pitchers use the mixture but are careful to not allow it to build up anywhere so as to not get caught. He said another common tactic used in the NCAA ranks is pitchers putting a mixture of sunscreen and rubbing alcohol in their dugout warming sleeves which leaves the mixture more broadly spread and looks like sweat on the arm as opposed to a foreign substance.

He said bottom line though is that if "what" JD had on his arm was sticky to the touch it was against the rules and will probably carry a suspension, even if unintentional.
UltimateVUFan

Post by UltimateVUFan »

For the record, VU radio call also conjectured it was sunscreen + rosin.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic